Is Pokémon Go just a fad?
Quite possibly, but it still has captured the interest of our FlexDogs.
People worldwide are a buzz with the success of the newest reality-infused mobile gaming app. It’s full of nostalgia and capitalizes on the mobile platform. Additionally, unlike other mobile gaming apps, it only works when you are on the move and go places. Gamers have said it is like TripAdvisor meets Fitbit with a game attached.
The game definitely has kids (of all ages) chasing pokémon all over Central Indiana, including a few of our engineers and trailblazer interns (link this). In true FlexDog form, our engineers can’t just play it, they must discuss the pros and cons as well. Here’s Pokémon Go through the eyes of a level 12 FlexDog player and a FlexDog non-player.
Jon: Pokémon Go Player, Level 15
Evan: Non-Pokémon Go Player
- It’s great!
- It gets people socializing, moving, and even visiting new places that they otherwise might not visit.
- It’s much better than sitting on the couch at home.
- It’s fun to “live” in an imaginary world where fictional characters are around us.
- My daughter and I love playing in the park with it. She likes making up new names for all the characters.
- People are getting hurt. Kind of testing Darwin’s survival of the fittest theory…
- Uses phone’s GPS, thus kills battery.
- When someone gets hurt by driving and playing on their phone, their insurance pays for it. With more accidents, insurance premiums go up THUS effecting other people. Costing us more money. However, all the accidents could be solved with self-driving cars.
Jon and Evan’s insights are interesting, but want to learn more on your own? We’ve got links to the best articles on how to play.
So How Does One Play Pokémon Go?
Do the pokémon wander around willy nilly? Or are they in specific geographical locations? How do you catch one? Is it safe? Who are pokémon trainers? What’s a lure? What’s a poké gym? Oh so many questions!
We’ve pinpointed a few great online resources:
- How to Play Pokémon Go
- Ten Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Pokémon Go
- The How, Where, Why and Warnings
- How to Attract a Pokémon
- Downloading Pokémon Go maps directly from Google saves battery, cuts data consumption
Good luck trying to #CatchEmAll
Curious what a FlexDog is and how you might catch one? Learn more.
Having a lifelong love affair with learning. Intrigued by unique, authentic, and passionate people.